11 December 2020

Such Tiny Printing!

Stamps from a postcard received from Nadia, Italy.

This first one is interesting, it is one of 8 in the series "Piazza d'Italia" and depicts the Piazza Della Repubblika Roma, meaning the Republic Square in Rome. All other stamps in the series are also of public squares.

The blue B refers to the tariff, or the code of the postage. Since July 2016 Italian postage stamps no longer have a written value in cents or euros. Instead, the stamp only shows a combination of letters and numbers. In this case and in the Donald Duck stamp below, the value is B. (Other values can be A Zona 1, B Zona 2 50g etc.) 

But what really intrigued me is that blue vertical column on the side of the stamp which just looks like a pattern, but is actually repeated micro-writing saying "Ministero Dello Sviluppo Economico", or in English - Ministry of Economic Development. It is so fine, but if I wear 2 pairs of reading glasses, one on top of the other, and shine a bright torch on the stamps, I can just make it out 😄. How can a printer make such tiny lettering? 

The other stamp I've also seen micro-writing on is a Canadian stamp (pen cancelled).

The stamp is of the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Island, and has the name of the trail microprinted along the horizon.


I daresay I'll keep a lookout for more micro-printing, I find it quite fascinating.

2 comments:

  1. I have got some of those Italian stamps, and I even sent some myself when I visited Rome. I love them. But I must say that I didn't notice the column was made of letters until the second stamp arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like them. You did well to notice the column was actual words. I only found that out when I researched the stamp.

    ReplyDelete