09 November 2020

Why The Gummed Stamp?

According to Australia Post, "Micro cuts are small security cuts that improve the adhesion of the stamp to the article surface and also prevent self-adhesive stamps from being removed easily for possible re-use."

Well I don't know about you but I never knew a stamp that didn't stick to an envelope or postcard easily. It always stuck. So I don't have an issue with the stickiness of self-adhesives, but I do have an issue with them tearing because of the micro cuts. These two tore as I was peeling them off the backing.

This was so annoying (and possibly disappointing to a receiver if they are stamp collectors) that I only purchase gummed stamps now, not self-adhesive ones. The gummies don't have micro cuts.  And besides, there's something nostalgic about licking the glue on a stamp like the good ol' days 😊.

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting to hear about your long term love of postcards ... I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! My blog is only just starting to get off the ground and still needs tweaking, but I'm happy to see your comment:).

      Delete
  2. Self-adhesive stamps might be tricky for stamps collectors (like myself). From some countries (like Finland and Spain), they are easily removable after soaking. Other countries, like Hungary, have those cuts... I think using gummed stamps is a good choice. Sometimes I can't get those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed this lately with the 10 packs I've bought. I always try to stick it back in because I worry it will be seen as a re-used stamp, so it's interesting to read your description of why they do it.

    ReplyDelete